A unique feature of Split is the use of Open Banking technology to deliver a more effective direct debit. Open Banking technology is used by many companies in financial services, and to provide seamless integration for these companies we have built connectors to some of the leading Open Banking data aggregators.
The following high-level integration scope supports the below use cases:
- Customer origination utilises either Basiq or Illion's Open Data Solutions (ODS) to establish a connection to the customer’s bank account.
- Recurring payment schedules
- Variable one-off payments to the same customer
- Variable recurring payments to the same customer
Sample businesses: lending platforms, collections, invoice financing, payment plan providers, b2b marketplaces, round-up apps.
Direct debit using Split is a 2 step process:
- Create an Agreement utilising the active connection to their bank account, effectively 'on-boarding' them into Split.
- Issue Payment Requests as per the customer payment schedule.
Step 1: KYC-Trusted Agreements
Our KYC-Trusted endpoints are available to merchants that have an existing integration with either Basiq or Illion ODS. A merchant is able to securely share the tokenised connection to their customer's bank account with Split. This enables an ongoing connection to the customer's bank account powering our Open Banking capabilities.
- Captures BSB and Account number with 100% data accuracy
- Establishes an ongoing bank connection with the customer enabling available funds pre-check
- Creates an Agreement and Contact within Split that your application can submit Payment Requests to
Optional: Add the limits to the agreement that will mirror the repayment schedule the customer has agreed to, such as, max and min amounts for a single debit, as well as the total amount that can be debited over time.Leaving the limits blank puts no restrictions on Payment Request amounts.
Step 2: Payment Requests
Direct Debits are created through our
Payment Requests. Create a new Payment Request each time you want to Direct Debit your customer.
If you need to Direct Debit your customer on a recurring basis, you will need to create a scheduler within your application that creates a Payment Request via our API each time a payment is due.
You can submit Payment Requests in real-time and up until the 19:05 pm cut off time for same-day processing. You can also submit Payment Requests prior to the due date by setting the ‘maturation date’ to reflect when you would like the payment to be processed.
Available balance checks: These are is all performed by our system and the status of the transaction will be delivered to you via webhooks. In the event that a customer has insufficient funds, you will receive a status of Prefail. The Payment Request will remain in the Prefail state until either voided or retried.
Developer Pro-trips: For more information on our available funds pre-check and how to manage pre-fails please see the following article:
- Documentation: https://docs.split.cash
- Sandbox account: https://go.sandbox.split.cash/sign_in
- Test credentials: https://docs.split.cash/#sandbox-testing-details
- Help guides: https://help.split.cash/en/
- OAuth2 Guide: https://help.split.cash/en/articles/3649396-using-oauth-to-act-on-behalf-of-other-split-accounts
Need a helping hand? From technical questions to integration strategy and support we are here for you 9 to 5, Monday to Friday. We’re also happy to schedule a call to help you plan your integration.
The easiest way to get in touch with us is via in-app messaging. When you log in to your sandbox or production account, click on the chat bubble on the bottom-right side of the screen. Alternatively, you can send us an email at email@example.com and we’ll get right back to you.