About KYC Trusted Customer Accounts
It is a strict requirement when setting up regular payments via a direct entry that a customer sights and agrees to a Direct Debit Request (DDR) and a Direct Debit Request Service Agreement (DDRSA). Similarly, there are also minimum identification requirements for the on-boarding process, referred to as ‘Know Your Customer’, or KYC.
Using the standard Split Payments API integration, these DDR and DDRSA documents are embedded as links, and the KYC requirements are handled as part of the Instant Account Verification (IAV) process. We fully appreciate, however, that some of our partners have an existing onboarding process that collects the required KYC materials before passing this information through to establish regular direct debits via Split Payments.
To cater for this, Split Payments offer a KYC-Trusted status for partners that meet the following requirements:
Minimum Requirements for KYC-Trusted Status
- Display the Split DDRSA via link or copy in-App: www.splitpayments.com.au/ddrsa
- Display the Split DDR via link or copy in-App: www.splitpayments.com.au/ddr
- Record & archive the acceptance of the DDR (via check-box opt-in for example)
- Ensure the record can be provided in the event of any payment disputes.
- Demonstrate a process of how you will keep a copy of the DDR
- Demonstrate how you provide a customer either a printed or non-changeable electronic copy of the Direct Debit Request and DDR Service Agreement within 7 days. (ex. emailing them a confirmation email with their T's and C's of using the platform)
- Provide evidence of suitable refund or dispute policy in place
- Demonstrate how a customer is identified and that you keep this information.
Configuring & Testing KYC Trusted Status
- Step 1 - Set up a Sandbox Account
- Step 2 – Create an Agreement via the KYC Endpoint
- Step 3 – Going Live
Step 1 – Set up a Sandbox Account
The first step to configure your KYC status is to set up a sandbox account. This allows you to configure our platform using dummy information for testing purposes.
- Set up a Split sandbox account here: go.sandbox.split.cash/sign_in
- Notify us via email@example.com or call 1300 611 406
- Split will then activate KYC Trusted Status on your sandbox account
Step 2 – Create an Agreement via the KYC Endpoint
The following endpoint will allow you to achieve three actions simultaneously:
- Create a contact (authoriser)
- Input the bank account details (BSB + Account Number)
- Create the Agreement
Endpoint: POST /agreements/kyc
"some_data": "stored on the authoriser contact"
"some_other_data": "stored on the agreement"
terms fields are defined in our API docs or use
null for a no limits agreement.
"some_other_data": "stored on the agreement"
Some important Notes:
- This will only work once ‘KYC Trusted’ is activated on your sandbox account so please wait for confirmation by our support team before testing.
- The request is idempotent to safeguard against accidental duplication. For example, if you POST the same payload, it will return the currently live Agreement.
- Once this KYC endpoint is set up, payments requests can be sent to the contact_id. Configuration details can be found at docs.split.cash/#request-payment
Updating Bank Account
Some of your customers, over time, will change their bank account and require you to update their account details within your integration. It is important that this is taken into account and planned in advance to ensure a smooth transition for both your customers and yourself.
If your application relies on metadata that you supply when creating an Agreement, a Bank Connection or the Agreement reference, your application will need to remove the Agreement that is in place with this customer, remove the existing Contact and then send a request to the KYC endpoint to create a new Contact and Agreement within Split. This ensures that the correct data is persisted in your application and everything is set up and referenced correctly.
If your application does not rely on any of the above-mentioned data, the process is simpler and you can simply take advantage of the Update a Contact endpoint.
This process is explained in more detail in this article.
Step 3 – Going Live
Once the sandbox testing is complete you simply need to register for a production account and the same approval process as per Step 1 will take place to activate KYC Trusted and verify that the integration is suitable as per the minimum requirements outlined above.
If you need any further support, please do not hesitate to contact our support team:
Help Desk: help.split.cash
Call: 1300 611406 (normal business hours)